Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow flowered geranium

Posted by gardengal48 PNW zone 8 (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 10:28

The quest for a yellow flowered zonal geranium has been much like that of the 'black' rose....an elusive goal :-) There are species pelargoniums with yellow flowers but a true yellow zonal has not been easy to develop. Previous efforts have resulted in pale, cream or buttermilk colored plants but a true yellow has finally hit the market, thanks to German breeders/hybridizers.

The owner of my nursery visits the west coast PAC trials each year and brought back plugs of 'First Yellow'. It is a compact zonal with delicate, clear buttery yellow flowers. Not the dense clumping flowerheads of most zonals, this has the more airy flowers of some of the species, especially the scented or fancy leaf geraniums. Mine has slight maroon striping in the throat and dark pistils.

Beautiful little plant! This is one zonal geranium I will be making the effort to hold over through winter :-)

Look for it this season at a nursery near you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pelargonium x hortorum 'First Yellow'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow flowered geranium

Great picture. There was a variety from Selecta several years ago called French Vanilla and it was not nearly as yellow as the one you have. It was more just off white. Not much market for a beige geranium. Will have to look for that one next year. Thanks for the heads up.

o
RE: Yellow flowered geranium

I still have plants of the original yellow geranium (pelargonium) that Thomson & Morgan brought out in 1981. Definitely a good, pale to medium yellow flower. Large plant with thick, succulent, twisted and rambling stems. Only drawback is the unwillingness to flower--maybe six times in 30 years. I keep it nonetheless because the foliage is quite beautiful as is the unusual form.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here