Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zonal Geranium and leaf-color changes?

Posted by vera_eastern_wa 5b-6a (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 07 at 11:53

I'm new to growing Zonal Geraniums. They are doing well as far as being outdoors and are in pots right now (potted up from their 4" nursery pots), but in the last few days I noticed just one of the Pinto Red has some leaves that are turning a funny color, yet not as dark as the deep purple rings..more a dirty brownish purple. What would cause this? I was thinking cool soil since many plants get that purplish/reddish thing going on for lack of phosphorus until soil warms up, but it's just the one pot.

Thanks,

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zonal Geranium and leaf-color changes?

Ok....now on the same plant some of leaves are turning orange! What's up with this plant?

o

I'm wondering about leaf color changes, too. I bought a few young geraniums here recently. I'm in NW Montana, and the temperature ranges from 103 degrees to -25 degrees, but mostly stays within 100 and maybe -15. Anyway, I put them out in my garden that gets afternoon sun, but not much morning sun; it was warm that week, but then we had (and continue to have)a rainy spell, during which the temps are dropping into the 36 degree range at night. Are the poor things just reacting to this chilly spell? The nice, dark green leaves have turned a sortof bronzish color, kind of purplish and brown, but otherwise still look firm and normal. Thanks for any insight somebody might have.

o

I'm no expert by any means but I grow zonals and scented geraniums for our farmers market here. Usually color changes can be 'brought on' by keeping zonals on the dry side but this usually brings on brighter color rings not dull ones so I would think that it is a temperature or nutritional thing. These plants are notoriously hungry. Try feeding a balanced diet of 15-30-15 and see if the colors of the leaves turns back to normal. If not, try changing the soil. Keep them warm, they do not like to even approach freezing. If the orange leaves turn yellow and die, look for white fly and put out sticky traps to catch the nasties. Good luck. Kat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here