Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardencrave

Scented geraniums

gardencrave
17 years ago

I recently bought 2 scented geraniums, old rose and strawberry scented. I loved the scent. I want to keep them as house plants though as they are not hardy in Chicago. They are currently in deep 4" pots. Should I pot them up ? Where should I put them? Can I put them out in sun now and bring them in later? But then i am afraid of bringing insects inside from the soil.

Thanks

Comments (2)

• dhill
    17 years ago

Your scented geraniums will do well as potted plants. Pot them up as needed. They like to go outside. If you can, put them in a spot with half day sun or more. You can experiment with their location a little without killing them. Scented geraniums are very resilient. They will come inside without complaining when overnight temps get close to freezing, but remember that they want to rest during the winter, so no fertilizer at that time. Insect pests don't bother scented geraniums much. If you want to prevent pests from coming up from the ground into the potting soil, set them on the patio or a little table. Another trick is to make a pedestal out of an empty upside-down pot and set them on that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Geranium Blog

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    17 years ago

I bring mine in every winter. They get very leggy but I cut them back several times as needed. In spring they get another haircut and go out to spend the summer on the deck.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area