Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
zone vs seed geraniums

Posted by jeviolet z5 IA (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 05 at 14:48

what is the difference? which is better? for what purposes? I am confused by this. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: zone vs seed geraniums

Pelargoniums (common name Zonal Geranium) are annual plants with a dark stripe on the leaves.

They used to be propagated only by cuttings. Cuttings were passed down from generation to generation.

In the past, only the best geraniums (pelargoniums) were grown from cuttings. Seed grown pelargoniums were inferior in quality with flower petals which scattered easily and no zonal markings on the foliage.

Today, with extensive hybridizing, you can have extremely good quality pelargonium. My favorites are Ringo2000 and Elite. The best seed grown pelargonium with a dark band (zonal marking) on the leaves is in my opinion the Orbit series.

If you want more information about seed vs cutting grown pelargoniums (and the difference between Pelargoniums and Gernaiums.. the old confusion) then go to the link below.

In short:
- Pelargoniums (common name: geraniums) are usually called "zonal" geraniums (to differentiate them from the hardy "cranesbill" geranium. "Zonal" refer to the presence of a dark band on the green leaves. For a discussion of Pelargonium vs Geranium see the link.
- In the past, the best Pelargonium (zonal) were grown from cutting. Today about 50% are grown from seed commercially while 50% are still grown from cuttings. If you want some special Pelargoniums with special leaf forms etc, you almost always have to go with cuttings. The best zonal markings (dark bands) you get with cutting based geraniums but today great stride is made in seed grown cultivars, too.
- It used to be simple: seed grown pelargonium were inferior in flowering, performance, and without a zonal marking. Cuttings were the real deal. Today there has been made great improvements in seed grown pelargoniums and a lot of high quality cultivars are available.

I recommend this article:
Seed Geranium -- article

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Geranium -- Article

o

Geranium flowers are symmetrical,like anenome flowers,but those of pelargoniums are not symmetrical, with some petals longer than others.

o

I don't think the question was about the flower form of Geranium (Geranium spp.) vs Pelargonium (Pelargonium spp.) but rather the difference between so-called zonal gernamiums (Pelargonium hortum growm from cuttings with brown zonal band on leaves) vs seed grown Pelargonium.

o

Ohsorrry, i got confused when i saw the word 'geranium.'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here