Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lbu68

Jolly Bee and Hocus Pocus?

lbu68
17 years ago

Do any of you have Jolly Bee or Hocus Pocus? If you do I would like to hear stories on these two. Pictures would be a plus. I am thinking of trying these out. I hear that Jolly Bee is just like Rozanne... is this true? Thank you.

Comments (6)

• capecodder
    17 years ago

I planted Jolly Bee last year, and it wasn't that different from Rozanne..and it didn't survive the winter...but I bought another one this year. Rozanne is just as nice. Don't know Hocus...

• gata
    17 years ago

I have Jolly Bee but not Hocus Pocus. The Jolly Bee I got was much bigger than Rozanne when both were purchased last year, so it is difficult to compare them. They both returned this spring, although the Jolly Bee was much slower to come back than the G. phaeums and macrorrhizums that I have, so was fearful I'd lost it. But it is going great guns now, despite all the rain we have had. Hasn't bloomed yet. But when it does start blooming I expect the same continuous show I had last year. I really like Jolly Bee.

• lbu68
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the feedback you two! I bought 2 Rozanne's last year and 1 made it through the winter and 1 did not. So I bought some more this year that were labeled Rozanne, but I have a feeling they are really Jolly Bee. I say that because their habits are different... the ones this year grow noticeably more upright and I'm told that's the biggest difference between Rozanne and Jolly Bee. I actually like these ones better. Sometime I will have to take some pictures and upload them so you can see and give your opinion.

• lynnsherbs
    17 years ago

I put in Hocus Pocus last fall. It's been doing very well, blooming for about a month now and doesn't show signs of stopping. It is in part shade, and didn't hold the color quite as well as I would have liked. It seems a bit wispy too - but that might be because it is new. I don't have Rozanne or Jolly bee to compare it to.

Lynn

• pellie_grower
    17 years ago

Rozanne was stolen and became Jolly Bee. I tipped off the owners of Rozanne but it would cost way too much to do something about it. I have both plants and they are identical. If anyone wants too the flowers side by side email me

• pellie_grower
    17 years ago

I meant to add the naming of purple leaved pratense is out of hand. The original is Victor Reiter. Now there are Victor Reiter jr, Midnight Reiter, Purple Heron, Black Magic, Hocus Pocus .... from seed it is very variable. Dont spend big money on them