Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perennial Geranium in Zone 5/6?

Posted by whiteoakian 6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 16:43

Hi all!
Could anyone suggest a geranium that is perennial in zone 5/6? I will be growing from seed. Any suggestions?
Thanks susan
ps also asking about begonias on that forum if you want to add your two cents about that!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perennial Geranium in Zone 5/6?

Lots of hardy or perennial geraniums will grow well for you in zones 5 or 6. Starting from seed may not be the best choice as it will limit your selections to primarily the species geraniums -- some hybrids are sterile and named forms are only reliably grown by assexual propagation (cuttings or divisions, not seed).

o

Here are several that can be done by seed:

G. endressii
G. macrorrhizum (great plant for dry shade)
G. pratense, many forms including the dark-leaved 'Dark Reiter' and the very large 'Mrs. Kendall Clark'
G. psilostemon
G. sanguineum
, including var. striatum, sometimes sold under the variety names 'Vision Violet' and 'Vision Pink'
G. wallichianum 'Buxton's Variety'

As gardengal mentioned, most of the "fancy" hybrids cannot be grown from seed.

o

Most perennial geraniums self-seed, apart from a few sterile hybrid cultivars. However, the trick is obtaining or purchasing the seed for these plants. The seed is just not readily available. A very pretty plant is our native Geranium maculatum, which can be seed grown after cold-moist stratification. Unless you are experienced growing perennials, especially native ones, I would recommend purchasing your first geraniums (in flower if necessary) so that you can see all their individual characteristics. Geraniums are tough enough to transplant when in flower. Not all plants are this tolerant.

o

Pretty soon the perennials will be half price in my area. This is the time to get some plants. In my zone 5, I have great luck with Johnson's Blue, Visions, phaeum, macrorrhizum, Brookside, Max Reiter. Good luck
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here