Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The truth about containers

Posted by gee_oh_nyc 7 (gee_oh_nyc@yahoo.com) on
Tue, May 8, 07 at 17:52

I've heard different things about geraniums in containers. One version is that its best to have only one geranium per container. Others say that's not the case. What are some of your favorite ways to feature geraniums in containers? Alone? or with companion plants?
Thanks
George

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The truth about containers

One of the prettiest containers I ever saw had several bright red geraniums planted with a small companion plant having tiny white flowers. Beautiful! I wish I knew what those tiny white flowers were.

o

Geraniums do so well for me that I give them the entire pot with an accent... Either a spike grass coming from the middle or dark green ivy around the sides.

o

I've got the basic standard geranium with some vinca vines. I wish I had considered adding in a white petunia or two for contrast.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

I would think, if you're planning on bringing indoors in fall, they'd best be planted alone, or w/some type of house plant..maybe I'm wrong??? Toni

o

to joeb1979 how many geraniums do you have in your pot? I tend to only put three to four but they dont look as full as yours.

o

That looks amazing. Mine have never looked that good. Most of mine are dead/dying due to the unusual wet weather we have been having in TX.

o

I have some in pots by themselves and then a couple with companion plants. One of them is in with vinca vines and then another is in with some lotus.

o

I just found a neat plant today in small pots, it is euphorbia, little white blooms that bloom continuously. I am going back for more tomorrow.......they had this plant in semi shade at my church and it was very eye catching. I plan to use more of it this summer.
Judith

o

Your tiny white flowers may be alyssum. I put one Rocky Mountain Red petunia in a 12" pot and put 4 or 5 alyssum plants around the edge. They will sprawl over the edge and make a nice setting for the red flowers. And I think a couple of geraniums in the pot would have been better. May try that now.

o
RE: The truth about containers - prairierose_

The small white flowers are called "snowflake" and I found them at a local nursery. I made up several hanging baskets with deep pink geraniums and a nice "snowflake" in the center.... beautiful. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here