Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

What's the difference?

birdsnblooms
15 years ago

Hi. Can anyone please tell me the difference between seed and zonal Geraniums? I've had 4 Geranuims over the years, (indoors in winter, summered outdoors.) Last night, I bought seeded Geraniums. Will these die? Are they annuals or will they keep going? Thanks so much, Toni

Comments (9)

• milwdave
    15 years ago

There is really no difference. Seed Geraniums (pelargoniums) are just that, grown from seed rather than cuttings or other forms of propagation. Both should behave the same.

Dave
    Milwaukee

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dave thanks so much. I'd like to keep the new ones going.. two have orange flowers, which I'd never seen before..Thanks, again, Toni

• mehearty
    15 years ago

Hopeful, if you'd like to keep the orange ones going, I'd take some cuttings now & then. You never know if the mother plant is going to poop out. I don't know if seeds are always true on pellies. Maybe someone else knows.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Mehearty..that's a GREAT idea..the problem is as of now, the Geraniums are small..but as soon as they grow, I'll take cuttings..thanks for the thought..
    I wonder if an orange flower Geranium is considered rare..got it locally, this is the first time ever seeing orange flowers. There were only two on the shelf, bought both. I wish one was a double, LOL. Toni

• milwdave
    15 years ago

I don't think the orange is so rare. We have a lot of them at the Garden center I work at. But space for most stores is at a premium. You really can't carry everything in commercial quantities. And they usually have enough experience to know what sells in their area. Luckily our center is very large so we have a wider selection than most.

Seed, if it's commercially propagated, is probably very stable as to form of the plant series it is supposed to reproduce. There may be an odd 'off' color seed, but I think it's pretty rare.

Dave
    Milwaukee

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Dave. I'm sure orange Geraniums aren't rare, (as endangered/extinct) espeically in certain states, but IMO quite uncommon in IL.
    We visit several local nurseries, and I can honestly say, I've never seen an orange geranium over the years.
    My newest venture is finding Variegated Geranium Ivy, (green and white) but I'm stumped..can't even find one on an online nursery. If anyone knows where they're sold, I'd apprecaiate names or websites. Thanks, Toni

• Central_Cali369
    15 years ago

Zonal Geraniums are one of my favorite shrubs because in our zone, they bloom 10 months out of 12, and they come in many colors. Here are a couple of geraniums that i propagated from cuttings last January. The one in the center is Orange/Salmon colored. Then there are some pink (on the right) purple-ish (left) and a bright red one in the background next to the palm.

{{gwi:8309}}

And here is a larger bush. I've taken over 100 cuttings from this one this year to plant throughout the yard. This is a very vigorous variety, also salmon colored.

{{gwi:8305}}

• kioni
    15 years ago

Toni, from what has been explained to me (and I don't know if 100% true or not), but the seed geraniums stay smaller in overall plant size (up here in our 3 months of summer) whereas the cutting geranium will get larger. Also, the blossom petals of the seed geranium fall off the bloom stem easier (wind, brushing up against it) whereas the cutting's petals stay on better until pinched off. AND the bloom head size of the cutting is larger than the seed started geranium.

With the seed geraniums I see for sale around my parts, the colours are basic, red, salmon, white, pinks, and if I want a true orange, I have to spend more and buy the cuttings. Also, seed geraniums are gentler on the pocketbook (selling for under $1) and the cuttings are usually in 6 in pots for @$5, or 4inch pots for a little le$$, like $3.

Enjoy your orange ones, I love that colour.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Central, your garden is beautiful..How tall are your Geraniums? Especially the one bush-like to the right in the second picture. Approximately? It looks huge. I had no idea geraniums grew so tall. What's your secret? How often and what type of fertilizer do you use?
    I've never seen a garden lined with Geraniums before, that is interesting.
    What is the flower next to the bush-like geranium..Color is creamy orange..? It's gorgeous.
    Also, I notice your (Bird or Musa banana/behind the palm tree) in the background is in a shadier part of the yard..Do they not prefer full sun?
    You've got some unusual plants, Central.
    I found a different Geranium yesterday..of course it followed me home..LOL..I've never seen anything like it before..there were two, one in white the other, (the one I bought) is a pink or light purple with odd-shaped flowers.
    I've been looking everywhere for a variegated trailing geranium, but can't find one anywhere. Locally or online.
    Central, actually, even in Il, Geraniums can flower 10 months out of the year, if given sun and a very mild dose of fertilizer. Mine stay outside from May-Sept/Oct..They bloom throughout winter, which is one reason I dote on them..Geraniums, African Violets, and Maid of Orleans/ Jasmine bloom all four seasons. If our winters are sunny, Citrus, Hibicus and Gardenias toss out flowers, too. Just not as often or as large as they do in summer.
    Thanks for the pics...I love looking at ppl's plants..

Hi Kioni..how you doing? Kioni, I give up..what is a cutting geranium? LOL..Do you mean an actual cutting? Taking a stem off a mature plant and rooting?
    Last winter, a piece broke off one of my geraniums..it was about 3". I potted in soil. It's so cute..that little cutting bloomed ALL winter after rooting..which took about 3-4 wks. Its flower is pink and white.
    Kioni, I'm not sure where you're located, but if/when my orange geranium matures, I'll send you a cutting for postage. It should be fairly safe via shipping. IMO, geraniums root easy. I did add Superthrive in the soil, but no fertilizers..it took off. The cutting is almost 1' tall now. See how easy they root? LMK if you'd like one. But I want to make sure that particular color is big enough to take a cutting, you know? There were only 2 oranges left, first time I'd ever seen one..I imagine they were sent here by mistake. We have browsed through nurseries, big box stores, so finding the orange (at Walmart) was a surprise; I grabbed them fast..LOL.
    Thanks for your help, and again Central your garden is wonderful. Toni

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals