Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small, orange bug on my Martha Washingtons.

Posted by sunlander 9b (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 20:12

Can anyone tell me what the small, light orange bugs with some black markings are on the leafs of my Martha Washingtons? These are a little smaller than ladybugs and not as round. They don't appear to move very much. I've not noticed any damage to my plants as yet. I don't see them on any other nearby plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small, orange bug on my Martha Washingtons.

I don't know about the bugs, but where are you? I am in Houston and want to grow a Martha Washington, but a lot of geraniums don't do well here in the long run.

o

eahamel, I'm in Sunland, CA, which is in a Los Angeles County foothill area. I just found that I'm in zone 10a (Sunset's zone 19). We have hot summers with low humidity here and winters haven't dropped to freezing in several years.

I would think you could grow Martha Washingtons easily in Houston as long as your winters are mild.

I planted mine where they are getting 6-7 hours of hot afternoon sun each day. That was before I read that they don't like afternoon sun, but they are looking great while some of the other nearby plants have scorched a bit. I planted them in well draining, sandy soil, which I added lots of compost to and mulched with cedar bark.

I have ivy geraniums also, but I find MWs easier to grow. They seem to be working as a perennial here, as I've had them for over two years now.

BTW, the little orange bugs have disappeared for the summer at least. They didn't eat much at all.

o

Thanks for the info. I see them in nurseries every fall, and will get one. I'm going to plant a large pot with some pelargoniums and geraniums, and can move it into the garage if it gets too cold anytime this winter. I have a hard time keeping the regular geraniums for more than a year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here