Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
G. Nimbus-What can be eating it? Need help

Posted by Leenie_Me Z 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 05 at 8:10

I had a beautiful healthy geranium Nimbus plant but something is eating it and I'll loose it if I don't do something about it real quick. It's in a garden that has many other hardy geraniums and they are all doing just fine. Could it be chipmunks, which I have, or it could be an insect pest of some kind. Can anyone give me some suggestions of what it can be or what to do about it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: G. Nimbus-What can be eating it? Need help

I posted a similar message - I have a beautiful potted geranium in my front yard and something is eating all the buds!!!! I am moving it onto my deck and see what happens - I can't decide if the deer have taken up eating geraniums along with everything else I have in the garden - Are your leaves being eaten or just the flower buds? When I am pretty sure I have a fungus or plant "bugs", I will pour a pot of soapy water over the whole plant and most times the problem gets solved.
Barbara

o

Reply to Barbara: My geranium is a hardy geranium. No, the buds aren't being eaten. It doesn't get to grow enough to have buds. The new leaves are being eaten just as soon as they develop.I think that I have solved my problem though. Yesterday I found about 5 slugs on the plant. I took it out of it's area in the garden, washed it completely, roots and all and have now got it in a pot with new soil. For all of you folks that read this, don't believe all the articles about G Nimbus, that say it has no enemies or diseases. Slugs love them. I don't know whether this will help you, Barbara, but I'm hoping it will. I'm also hoping I can save this poor geranium that is trying so hard to survive. Good luck with your geranium. Erlene

o

I had a nimbus briefly a few years ago. I think it must have been slugs that killed it, as they seem to like the area where I had it planted, as well as everywhere else in my gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here