Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artrageousskb

Other long-blooming hardy geraniums?

artrageous
17 years ago

I have 2 Rozannes that have done amazingly well in my zone 7 garden in partial sun. Are there other varieties that have such a long bloom time? Any in shades of pink?

Last year I planted a "Brookside" that didn't impress me as much as the Rozannes because it flopped more. I was surprised when it didn't return this spring. :-(

Comments (9)

• artrageous
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the information, peterls! I'll have to see if any of those are available locally.

• ann_norway
    17 years ago

"All" (I only have 10-15 different, but it is a trend) G. x oxonianum are long bloomers: light pink 'Rebecca Moss', dark pink 'Rosenlicht', the very beautiful 'Hollywood', pink 'Rose Clair', pink 'A.T. Johnson', etc.
    'Johnson's Blue' is of course famous for longblooming, but he also tends to become long-legged ...

• pellie_grower
    17 years ago

Are you sure it's 'Johnson's Blue' that is long blooming? Mine only lasts about 6 weeks and it's over for the year but may have a few flowers here and there during the summer

• bellarosa
    17 years ago

My 'Claridge Druce' blooms for a very long time. Its a pink variety that gets around 24" tall and wide. I also love 'Wargrave Pink'. Both bloom for a very long time. By the way, my 'Johnson's Blue' has never bloomed more than a few weeks. 'Rozanne' is a better variety. Yes, it flops, but I placed mine to cascade over some rocks and it does really well.

• ann_norway
    17 years ago

Yes, 'Johnson's Blue' is a long bloomer because it is sterile, it is fooled to bloom on for ever. But as I said, it falls over and as such is not a nice plant alone. Often 'Johnson's Blue' is not a 'Johnson's Blue' at all and you will find both that it bloom short(-er) and that it makes seeds.

Bellarosa, the ones you mentioned are G. x oxonianum-types, and act just like I say :-)

In my garden now I can also see that G. 'Nimbus', which I have for the first year this year is a great, long bloomer. My 'Rozanne' is also a long bloomer.

• ellen_nl
    17 years ago

Although my "Jolly Bees" are the longest blooming geraniums I have, the pink geranium "Joy" is a strong performer too! Blooms from May to September/October, with smaller blooms than Jolly Bee. Joy spreads through the border too with serveral long arms, but is less floppy than Jolly Bee and doesn't "climb" as high as JB either, but stays closer to the ground. Joy is a nice filler in between taller plants, the leaves are a bit marbled and are quite nice. Also, the leaves stay green for a very long period of time.

• threekittygarden
    17 years ago

My Rozanne is long blooming and I want some more plants. How can I propagate it? Appreciate any information.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

I would caution on the Claridge Druce - I had it in my small garden & loved it for about 2 years until it reseeded EVERY where.... I had another year of trying to get rid of all the seedlings (& am still finding a few that hid from me last year). Much as I liked the long bloom & strong plant presence, I had to banish it. You did not say if you are looking for more "weavers" or what size -- and cranesbills definitely come in all sorts of sizes from 8" to 3' in height..... so you may want to decide on that before you choose some others w/ long bloom as well. I find that some while they do not continually bloom, if you cut back will definitely rebloom several times thruout the season in our area.

Sponsored