Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeowner2011a

Gernaiums & Hostas flanking stairs -

newhomeowner2011a
11 years ago

Hi,

I just cut out the grass next to our lower level of steps in an upside down kidney shape (wider at bottom next to city walkway). I was going to line our walkway and the outer portion of this space with Patriot Hostas and fill them in with Viola Klose salvia. I did this and wasn't happy with the results as I didn't realize how often I'd have to clip off the flowerless stalks (have only been in ground 1 week and had to basically cut off every flower stalk so it wouldn't go to seed and would rebloom...I realize geraniums are the same way but there aren't as many blooms so it hopefully will not be as much of a maintenance issue...). Anyway, I have a white house with red door and thought maybe geraniums in this space (vs. the salvia) might be pretty and a nice alternative. Now I know that living in zone 4a, I will have to dig up the root ball and store in the basement and then replant in the spring (after frost) but I think the results will be worth it. I have tried to find images of someone filling in the bed between hostas and stairs and have not found anything online so I wanted to be sure this would be possible before going back to the nursery.

Does this sound like it might be pretty to anyone else or is there a reason why this might not work? We get some morning sun there and almost (if not) 100% sun in the afternoon/early evening.

Thanks for your insight!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH