Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rozanne color change

Posted by sweetpea_4 z4 SD (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 20, 09 at 11:44

My 3 year old Rozanne is just now beginning to bloom and her blooms are pale pink this year and look exactly like the blooms of geranium macrorrhizum. Has anyone ever had that happen to them? I am very sad to have this happen to my beautiful purple/blue Rozanne.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rozanne color change

Did something happen to change the PH of the soil. Like hydrangas other plants will change color if the soil PH is changed.

Did you amend the soil with anything. Peat moss will make the soil acidic. Check back and remember what you put in. You can make it more acidic by adding acidic fertilizer and less by working in agricultural lime in the soil around
the plants. Be careful not to get the lime on the plants or roots because it will burn

o

Did you spray any herbicides nearby?

o

too hot maybe?

o

I find that 'Rozanne' flowers vary in appearance from day to day and from morning to evening. Sometimes they look very pink, but usually they are on the blue-r side. Maybe temperature and humidity affect the color as well.

o

When it's hot, my 'Rozanne' is pinkish purple.
It turns almost indigo blue when the weather turns cooler in the fall. I find that quite interesting.

o

Bigleaf hydrangea is the only plant that responds to soil pH by changing flower color. Color variation in the flowers of other plants is due to exposure (sun/shade), climate conditions and the age of the flower. There IS a color variation in the flowers of 'Rozanne' depending on the existing climate conditions and time of the season - cooler temperatures seem to encourage the blue tones and hot, sunny weather bleaches the flowers out to a more purply-pink color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here