Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
officewench_gw

Help me ID a lost geranium please

officewench
18 years ago

I'm going from memory here so please be patient with me. I normally post over at the hosta forum and I know nothing about geraniums. In fact I didn't know the plant in question was a geranium until my aunt gave me a division of hers which looks like Brookside. My geranium looks similar to the one I'm interested in IDing but something is just a little off about it.

About 50-60 years ago my grandfather planted a geranium/cranesbill that I just loved but the plant has since died. I grew up with the plant, my grandparents sold the farm to my parents, and I've been trying to discover what it was ever since.

It was a very hardy plant that formed a tight mound 18-24" high and about 36" across. The foliage seems typical of what I've seen with the leaves having little "fingers" instead of being all one piece. The flowers were a rich bluey-purple with distinct darker veining and I think yellow stamens/anthers/reproductive bits at the centre. They were cupped and grew on medium length stalks, the flowers were at most 6" above the foliage. I remember something about the plant was very soft and fuzzy. I am reminded of the texture every time I touch that fake suede/microfibre stuff.

I really appreciate any help you can give me. If you need more info I will see if I can dredge anything up from my parents memories.

Thanks,

Angie

Comments (2)