Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geranium 'Splish-Splash'

Posted by christinmk z5 WA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 07 at 14:52

Hi! I posted this question several days ago on the perennial forum, but I only got one response. I totally forgot there was a Geranium Forum, or I would have posted here first. Maybe you guys can help me. Early this spring a bought a splish-splash geranium; I planted it in dappled shade behind my apple tree. It took off great and is allready very large. It bloomed a couple of days ago...im a bit dissapointed, there are not very may blue streaks in it. Is it normal for this cultivar? It doesnt look at all like the pictures of it in the catalogs. Is there anything I can possibly do to get the 'splash' back in it? Would moving it to a diffrent location help at all? Thanks in advance!
CMK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geranium 'Splish-Splash'

Even though I collect Geraniums and have almost 100 different, 'Splish-Splash' is not good enough for my garden. It is loose in its growing, the flowers seldom lives up to the expectations, and I find it generely not garden-worthig. Because its a pratense it is also prone to get what we is called meldugg (don't remember the English word).
There are so many beautiful cranesbills so find another to have in your garden, is my advice.

o

Thanks for advise! What would be a good Geranium to replace it with?
P.S. meldugg...is the word you mean 'leggy'??
CMK

o

I agree with ann, my splish splash was slop splatt actually, dull as ditch water. You could try moving it to sunnier climbs and see if the color improves but, I have not seen ONE in bloom that looks like the pictures. Too bad really, because it seems to be a very eager grower, yes, perhaps a little leggy, ... meldugg, hmmm, please advise the meaning for this wonderful word, Ann.
Thanks. Kat

o
RE: Geranium 'Splish-Splash' love mine pic

Well I really love mine and am very happy with it other than the fact that only one of the three I planted last year survived. Mine is in full sun. When it first bloomed it was pretty white but as the flowers have aged they have gotten the blue splashes in them. They are planted in front of my Hollywood which looks a little washed out from the bright sun. I love perennial geraniums.
Bonny

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

I believe meldugg is mildew.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here