Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What am I doing wrong?

Posted by terri76 NW INDIANA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 16:24

I put cuttings of my peli's in water in March. The roots grew very slowly and didn't really start growing long and dense till last month. I planted 2 that I thought had enough of a root system to support the plant, only to have them rot from the root up. I planted them in miracle grow potting soil with styrofoam peanuts in the bottom of the pot. What went wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What am I doing wrong?

Terri, the only reason I can think of is, even though a rooting plant needs moist soil, Geranium cuttings shouldn't be kept constantly wet. Some MG soils are heavy so additional mediums such as Sand (not beach) and/or Perlite should be added.
Also, I find rooting cuttings in water much easier than soil, but when a cutting is rooted in water, they develop water roots..then when transferred to soil, it's like starting over..IMO it's much easier rooting a geranium directly in soil. Water well, but let dry a bit between. Don't set in direct south or west sun..medium light is best until roots establish.
Did you use Rooting Hormone? I don't but many people swear by it. It's about 3-4.00 a bottle. Just dip end of cutting in hormone, then place in a soil..
Which brings me to pot size..when you repotted in soil, what size container did you use? For one or two cuttings, a 3 or 4" pot is fine. Nothing bigger..Larger pots equal more soil and more soil means more water and too much water equals root rot.
If possible, take another cutting and root in soil. You need not add plastic around a geranium when rooting. Treat as you would a succulent, well-draining soil, bright light, smaller pot. Good luck, Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here