Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pelargonium cuttings

Posted by bjames 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 6, 09 at 16:58

After rooting a pelargonium cutting in water and potting it in soil, how moist should the soil be kept until the plantlet has adapted to its new environment in soil and is stable enough to allow the soil to somewhat dry between watering, as mature pelargoniums should be maintained?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pelargonium cuttings

geranium care
www.careplants.org

Here is a link that might be useful: www.careplants.org

o

Usually, I just stick my cuttings into a mix I make. (peat and verm.)
They usually root quickly. But when you root them in water, because they are used to the water, keep the soil mosit, not wet. (it may rot) Keep it moist until you see the plant get a new set of leaves. This will ensure you that the cutting is succesfull and can go off by itself.

Then after that, you can let it dry out between waterings.

o

I have been taking cuttings for many years and this is how I do it. I take my cutting just below a leaf because the roots will form at the leaf node.I strip off all the leaves except the top 3 or 4. Then I lay them out on newspaper on my spare room floor for 5 days to callus over. The cut end will shrivel and scab over. Then I dip them in rooting hormone (for softwood cuttings)Dibble a hole in my thoroughly moistened (not overly wet) soil in my pots and drop it in and cover in. I keep them moist but not wet. You know they have rooted when they show new growth.

The callusing over cuts down on the incidence of blackleg--rotting of the cutting.

An excellent gardener told me years ago that cuttings rooted in water develop soft roots that fall off when it is transplanted into soil, and to root them in soil. I don't know if it is true but this way works for me.

o
More

I forgot to add that the soil is not soil at all but a soilless mix. I use pro mix or one formulated for cuttings and seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here