Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leggy geranium

Posted by ralgam z5 NH (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 17, 06 at 17:13

I planted some Rozannes last year. They came back and looked great a month ago. Now, instead of being nice and bushy lilke they were, they're thin and leggy. What can I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leggy geranium

It is probably sun. I have Rozanne's planted in several different lighting situations in my yard. The ones planted in part shade are thin and somewhat leggy. The ones planted in full sun are full and thick. I recently purchased some Rozannes from a local nursery that had them growing in a shaded hoop. They were very leggy. But, a few weeks in the sun and there is thick new growth emerging from the crown.

o

What kind of fertilizer do they need and how often?

o

Ral, as with many annuals, geraniums in summer heat begin to look ratty. What we have to do is make them want to do better for themselves. Where the legginess shows, just pinch or cut back and make the plant want to replace that part.

Pinch off the long and wilting leaves and blooms. Give the plant all the sun you can.....but 6 to 8 hours is a must.
Water the plant ....if a hanging basket, about every day..and always to the draining point......garden beds can get along better.
Fertilize with any 15/30/15 about every 10 days to 2 weeks.

And let's not forget, before frost hits geraniums, they can be taken indoors to further their blooming time....Or...
can be considered for wintering over and bringing back next spring....as good...or better than ever.

o

Ralgam, I believe that caroldiane, is referring to pelargoniums, the annual geraniums, not hardy geraniums. As for fertilizer, I just use a timed release fertilizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here