Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
out of curiousity...black-leaf geranium

Posted by margriet Netherlands (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 05 at 18:26

Are you already familiair with the black-leaf geraniums?

I was just wondering. Funny hardy geraniums, brown/black leaves, blue flowers.
The Reiter group has some, and I know "Black Beauty" by name. In the garden, they seem to grow fast. (first season, bought them last year, came trough the winter)

Also sew some seeds from the "Black Beauty". The seedlings have the black foliage as well. :-)

Already available in the USA? Couldn't find any message about them.

From the Netherlands, gr. Margriet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: out of curiousity...black-leaf geranium

• Posted by Gata z4 NH (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 15, 05 at 21:02

I got two of the darker leaved geraniums last year:
G. maculatum 'Espresso' and G. pratense 'Midnight Reiter'. The flowers of mine are more lilac than blue. But I am cherishing several seedlings that I found with the red/dark foliage.
Good luck with yours.

o

So happens I just purchased midnight reiter and wondered about the growing conditions for same. Am not familiar with these dark leaved geraneums. I'm hoping that they are not a difficult plant and that I made a good purchase! I got it on sale so that is a bonus. Any suggestions? Thanks.

o

Debbie,

Midnight Reuter is flourishing for me in full sun with no specific care needed. It's not quite as dwarf as is usually described and its leaves can become a very deep olive green with purple edges and veining, not exactly the "deep purple" of the description, but still very nice. I've since added Black Beauty, Purple Haze, and Tanya Rendall (all dark leaved) to my geranium collection, and all are doing well.

Kate

o

Thanks Kate. I am a real lover of dark foliage plants so was quite pleased to find this geraneum. Now I just have to find a place for it! (Too many plant sales going on and I just have no restraint when it comes to buying plants!)

o

I have a brown/black leafed geranium that's no more than 3" tall with 1/4" white flowers nestled in the foliage. So far the leaves are about the size of my thumbnail. Anyone have any idea what that one might be. Must be a mini of some sort.

o

I bought four small 'Midnight Reiter' this spring I have them in full sun and irrigation (soaker hose) but they havn't grown at all at one point I thought they might have powdery mildew but now they are in such bad shape it is hard to tell. I would appreciate any advise. Thanks Katy

o

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 11, 05 at 2:34

Kate, your geranium sounds more like Victor Reiter than Midnight Reiter. My Midnight Reiter (two, purchased as seedlings at Heronswood some years back) are truly purple black foliaged, no fading to green. Some of the seedlings of those two plants have green brushed purple foliage with the green more evident as summer progresses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victor Reiter geranium @ Terra Nova

o

They have some at Thompson & Morgan.
Seeds or plants.

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/7698/1

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Velvet Red Plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here