Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Geraniums

Posted by jfraga CA, Davis (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 19:05

Hey Everyone,
I just bought to geraniums and both of them are starting to have yellowish leaves. One of them, I transplanted it to a bigger container with new soil and the other one is in the original container. The flowers seem to be burned by the sun. I already have two zonal geranium and they do just fine in full sun. I don't know exactly what the new type of geraniums are but they might be a type that doesn't like sun that much. The leaves are round with a darker circle inside. Maybe someone can help me with this.
Thank you
Joaquin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Geraniums

Hi Joaquin...since your geraniums' leaves have a ring, the more sun the better. The ring will darken with sun, otherwise, if in shade, it'll revert to green.
Was your geranium in or outdoors when you bought it? It may need light adapting, but since its leaves are yellow, it sounds more like an overwatering problem..Geraniums do not like wet feet. Water thoroughly, then let soil dry before adding more.
Geraniums need well-draining soil. If/when you repot use a Cactus/succulent soil, and amend if it's still too heavy. I use Succulent soi and add Builder's Sand (bought at HD) and Perlite. If you don't want to bother with sand, just use the Perlite. Also, pots should have drainage holes. Otherwise, water will build up on the bottom pot and cause root rot. Treat Geraniums as you would a succulent plant. Good luck, Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here