Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanya12_gw

Do animals eat geraniums?

Tanya12
19 years ago

I didn't think so since mine have never been eaten. My father in law is killing his with tons of milorganite and moth balls to deter preditors. (just because one ground hog ate his dahlias!)

Can I tell him no one eats geraniums?

They are the annuals.

Thanks

Comments (10)

• pellie_grower
    19 years ago

There is a Pelargonium moth that is spreading fast through Europe eating it way through these plants

• Tanya12
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I meant, like ground hogs or deer. Thanks

• brass_tacks
    19 years ago

Tanya,
    Yes, those deer have a geranium (flowers only) salad on me all the time--well, not ALL the time. I keep trying all sorts of things--garlic wash, cayenne pepper, pee, herbiside insecticide--and just a few days ago my husband took mercy on me & put up stakes & ran fishing wire at about 4 & 6 feet & then criss-crossed the wires. That'll never do for the long haul-- But your Dad's idea about the moth balls--that's not anything we've thought of. How about putting the moth balls in a shallow container--just in case. I'm going to try that. Actually, I've always loved my sister's Great Pyrenees guardian dog. I'm seriously thinking that's the kind of friend I need.
    Good luck, Pat

• Tanya12
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I grew up with a Great Pyrenees!!! She wasn't much of a guard dog though - she was show dog for a couple years. Oh she was beautiful and so sweet!!! When I was a little girl and was upset and crying she would come over and lick my knees. I miss her.

I think moth balls deter many animals but I hate the smell.
    Thanks.

• brass_tacks
    19 years ago

Tanya,
    Moth balls...guess I'm weird--but I like the smell--brings back memory kind of feelings of my grandparent's home. (Gram used moth balls in her closets.)
    Great Pyrenees...whenever I would visit my sister, it would be for at least a week, as she lived so far away. Anyway, I remember feeling so sorry for her dog--barking all nite chasing off coyoties. Seemed like he never got any sleep. What's kept me from going ahead and getting a Great Pyrenees is that I'm sure the barking at nite would make me one unpopular neighbor. There are Navy people about who work nites. What to do about those deer is a big problem. I planted two apple trees that now have wooden fences around them--the fences will be permanent. You are moving to SC? Good luck! :)
    Pat

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    19 years ago

Deer will not eat G. macrorrhizum, but will try most of the others and often develop a taste for them. Gardening with deer involves a total management plan. Spraying with Deer Off will help, but the key is to make the entire yard so unappealing to deer that they detour around your property.

• carol23_gw
    19 years ago

Rabbits absolutely trash pelargoniums here. One of the gardens on a recent tour had containers of them and the small rabbits tore apart and ate almost every one. There were pieces scattered all about. We saw the rabbits in action.

• acloverfam_aol_com
    12 years ago

I didn't think anything ate geraniums until last year when something started eating mine. It is either deer or rabbits. Originally they just ate the stems and left the leaves on the ground, but now they are eating the flower buds. I think it is rabbits because the deer are having another feast on my hostas. I have tried everything from Irish Spring soap on a stick (they ate the soap!) to cayenne pepper and all kinds of deer away products. I will have to try the moth balls, just not near the house because I don't like the smell.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Young deer will nibble on anything just to try it.

I've never had them eat the annual geraniums, but this year they've eaten some blooms on my hardy geraniums even G. macrorrhizum. None were eaten last year. Fortunately, it spreads well & I now have it in so many places as groundcover a few trims here & there don't affect much.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath