Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reblooming ground cover?

Posted by bedelia 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 19:50

Someone on this forum id'd my plants as Geranium sanguinum Striatum and Geranium macrorrhizum. They are through blooming now. If I were to cut these back, will they rebloom this summer,or are they a one timer?

Also, how does one control these? They're taking over my other plants.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reblooming ground cover?

When mine are finished blooming I take the clippers and give them a haircut cutting off the seedpods. Some of the leaves get cut too but that doesn't matter. They will rebloom but sparsely--not with the flush of flowers they first have. I have sucessfully divided them in the spring.

o
RE: reblooming ground cover?

Geranium macrorrhizum is generally grown as a vigorous,, evergreen groundcover, often in dry shade. Mine has never re-bloomed, but then, I don't cut it back either. I do cut back the flowering stems to tidy it up, after blooming is completed. Being a groundcover type, it spreads ever outwards. Ger. sanguineum (e.g. striatum, John Elsley, Shepherd's Warning, Ankum's Pride,etc.) is more of a clump-former, but it is usually quite vigorous and its roots spread underground to eventually claim a large territory. I find the various sanguineums have one main bloom period, and then if cut back moderately hard, will bloom sporadically until fall. I am in zone 4, so can only speak for my area. The only way to keep these two kinds of geranium from "taking over" a garden is to dig the roots out and either replant them somewhere else or compost them. There are many other types of well-behaved, clumping geraniums. These include Jolly Bee, Rozanne, Orion, Brookside, Mayflower, Rosemoor,Tanya Rendall, the cinereums such as Ballerina, etc. Other groundcover types include the cantabrigiense group (e.g. Cambridge, Biokova, St.Ola, Karmina, Westray). These spread sideways rather than upwards. Avoid these if you don't want the groundcover habit.None of the latter re-bloom, in my experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here