Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindysunshine_gw

Why Can't I Grow Pelargoniums?

cindysunshine
13 years ago

I am a very seasoned gardener - have expansive perennial borders, orchard, grow loads of containers and have played with all kinds of seed starting over the decades.

I can't seem to grow decent old fashioned geraniums.

I have been working out of town for years and my gardens had really declined - I worked so hard this year and things are 1000% better and looking quite fabulous overall. I have reduced my total containers to a rational squadron and included 3 big gorgeous violet pelargonium in big blue pots which really punctuated things.

They were in a loose potting mix and in full sun I couldn't keep them watered. A week ago I repotted them using the Miracle Gro potting mix I had available in bigger but not ridiculously bigger pots.

I always get the leaves with brown patches - sort of section that goes from the edge toward the center. The foliage isn't a nice deep green and the flowers just decline - not as full as before.

I suspect overwatering - I water a lot and fertilize quite a bit, too - everything else seems to thrive, though.

I can snap some pics tomorrow - I pulled off all the bad leaves again tonight.

Pointers from the pros?

Comments (7)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

I grow Zonal Geraniums and Ivy geraniums from seed, cuttings and over wintering.
    They don't need a lot of watering or fertilizing. I have right now about 25 of them in pots on my patio. They're in full sun for most of the day.

The only fertilizer they get is time release fertilizer when I plant them and an occasional shot of water soluable near the end of the season. The smaller 10 inch pots may get watered every 2nd or 3rd day but the bigger ones only get watered about 5 days to a week. Of course this may change according to heat and rainfall.

Zonal Geraniums come from the Mediteranian. Take a hint from their climate. The point being that Geraniums like to be grown on the dry side. The plant will live without water for a long time but won't produce flowers, so you have to strike a happy medium.

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much and I do think I overwater them. So that should be easy to fix. I really do appreciate your response.

• darlenes-2010
    13 years ago

I have learned the hard way over the years that geraniums do not need a lot of water. I have hanging plants every year mostly ivy types. This year I found a beautiful dark red regular old geranium. I decided to not water it so much and it has rewarded me with continuous blooms and I am so happy. I am going to overwinter this one and see if I can have it next year.
    It has had a few dead leaves this summer but nothing like before. I water it about every three or four days. It is hanging on my front porch and only gets direct sun in the mornings.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

'Zonal Geraniums come from the Mediterranean' - just a small point. They are actually native to Southern Africa - so the remarks about dry climate and heat are even more relevant.

• goren
    13 years ago

I think actually pelargoniums can take a fair amount of water in hanging pots.
    I think the problem might lie in your transplanting them from one pot to a much bigger pot and combining overwatering with the increased amount of soil.
    You should never transplant any plant to a pot that is more than one size up--especially at a time when the plant is not growing well. Soon the sun will lose some of its intensity and the plant will need much less water.
    But your giving the increased volume of soil has made the plant drink more....and more and more.

I think maybe if you put it back into the original pot, your plant will be much happier. Then next spring, after it has grown some, you can then think to up the pot size.
    Its in a growing phase then, so the increased volume of soil can feed something that's there.

Do you keep your geraniums over winter in the window or do you overwinter by letting them go dormant in a cool, dry and dark environment willing to sit until the ides of March when they come out, are cut back, given warm spring sunshine and they will come back better than ever.

• robitaillenancy1
    13 years ago

I would like to see a forum for pelargoniums separate from that of Geraniums. How can we ask for that?

Nancy

• goren
    13 years ago

I think the volume of messages for one might be deficient in interest and most people, I think, know the differences, and maybe having the two can educate and interest others that don't know into understanding and maybe even growing the other.

I've kind of lost interest in the cranesbills...I had a garden with the sanguinem...but once I got rid of that plot, I didn't plant another. I do though, get a lot of satsifaction growing the pelargoniums....and many of their type. So as far as a forum for them, I wouldn't visit....but please administrator, if you think people would appreciate it, by all means...

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor