Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pellies...and WHERE on the plant to take...

Posted by green_frog z6PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 05 at 21:41

cuttings from? I'm greedy and gathering a nice collection on my deck. And I'll just say it - I want MORE of them. I know they root in H20 and even soil, but WHERE and WHAT do I take for cuttings?
I just experimented before I put this up and just snipped some of the bigger leaves (right at the closest point to the big stalk it was on) and put them in H20. Will that work? Or do I need to take a STALK as well?

thanks in advance! gf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pellies...and WHERE on the plant to take...

take pieces of stalk that are firm but not woody, cut all the leaves off except the top two, I usually then cut the two remaining leaves in half. stick them in some potting soil and keep moist, and after about a month theyll usually have some roots on them, thats it, you then have new plants to put on your deck.

o
RE: Pellies...and WHERE on the plant to take...

The advice above is good, and yes you are quite right to take the cutting just below where the leaf stalk joins the stem (it's technically called the "node" but it doesn't matter what its called. Taking the cutting just below the node is useful as the stem is firmest here and there are lots of plant hormones in these areas that will help rooting.

Don't forget to remove the bit of stem left on the parent plant , cut it off just bove the next node down, otherwsie the stem can rot back into the plant, and anyway it looks ugly if there are dead bits of stem sticking up.

They will root in water but personally I prefer to put them into a pot with 50/50 peat substitute (compost) and grit.

Good luck with your pelargoniums and geraniums, they are great plants.

Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here