Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help ... Will this geranium survive?

Posted by mindstorm z6 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 0:08

Just planted geraniums for the first time - am very ambivalent about them. The gardeners were supposed to plant 4 or 6 but planted 9 instead.
In trying to restructure the plantings in one of my beds, I was a bit rough with moving one and the plant "separated" from its roots - really, much to my surprise, I was left holding the plant while the base and roots - which were exposed - were left on the ground. I don't like to kill plants - especially perfectly healthy ones - so feel a bit guilty (although, once again, I really don't care for geraniums).

I did bury the roots in the ground and stuck the plant in as well just in case the blasted thing sets roots here and there and can take off again.

Can you help me determine if the plant will live? If not, I'll have to rejigger all the other plantings so as not to have this unnatural spacing.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help ... Will this geranium survive?

If you are referring to pelargoniums - zonal geraniums - yes, it is very likely both parts of the plant will regrow. But whether or not either or both will develop to an equal size and flowering stage as the remaining undamaged plants this season is up for grabs.

If your concern is the uniformity of appearance of the planting and the spacing, then I'd replace the plant(s).

o

Gardengal, Thank you so much for your response. It is much appreciated.

I had to look up what a pelargonium is - I don't believe mine is one. I have the Cranesbill Rozanne which I understand to be quite hardy. I hope your cheerful message extends to these plants too although the above-ground part of my decapitated geranium is looking quite woeful this morning.

I'm not worried about uniformity of appearance this season - they are all uniformly scraggly in their beds at this point; I wanted to know if my less-than-gentle garden behaviour will cost a poor plant its life simply because I couldn't bring myself to be more careful. I hope it will survive long term and so far what I assume from your message is that it might do. Is that fair for a cranesbill too?

o

Unfortunately, hardy geraniums/cranesbills do not necessarily act the same as the zonals/pelargoniums. Separation of the root crown from the topgrowth generally spells doom for the plant. If you have any hope at all, it is with the roots. And I think you may have a decent chance with that......plants tend to be amazingly resilient and can take the most appalling abuse (not that yours was the slightest bit intentional!) and still come back fighting. Good luck!

o

Bless you gardengal. Your words warm my heart - if the roots do push off a plant, I think I might get lucky and get two because a couple of the shoots associated with the decapitated plant seem to have stabilized with the shoots green a couple of leaves looking jolly good and a couple of the buds starting to perk.

I know that conventional wisdom would suggest that I disbud to let the plant focus on developing its infrastructure rather than the energy draining parts but I'm frankly afraid to thwart any part of the plant that still clings to life!

Thank you so much for your guidance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here