Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Dividing Rozanne?

gardenfanatic2003
18 years ago

Has anyone ever tried dividing Geranium Rozanne? Mine is so huge it's out of control - 3 feet in diameter. However, the crown itself doesn't seem very big, so I'm concerned if I try to divide it, I'll kill it. Anyone know about this? Thanks,

Deanna

Comments (4)

• Jen26
    18 years ago

Good question, I'm curious, too. Maybe it's too new and nobody knows yet.

• sheltieche
    18 years ago

Mine is big as well but I want to divide it because it is 3rd year in my garden and I did not get good performance this year while previous years it was magnificent. I am not sure if it is because of very dry summer/I've been watering it but still/ or it just needs to be divided often.

• iris_gal
    18 years ago

A plant with one central stem cannot be divided. My Rozanne looks to be one of those so I am going to try rooting some cuttings.

One that is easy to dig out side rooted stems is G. endressi. When you lift its growth you easily see portions that have rooted.

• Heather Borgaro
    6 years ago

I have successfully divided mine by digging up the clump, washing off some of the soil so I can see what I'm doing, and then cutting the root mass in half, or even quarters. I keep an old knife in the garden shed for this kind of work. Cut back the top growth to balance the loss of root mass. I've done this in both the spring and fall.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?