Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identify a hardy geranium

Posted by anitadehoff Z8 Seattle/sunset 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 3:04

Hello,

My neighbor gave me a division of her plant. Can you tell me anything about it?

Here is a link to a couple of photos

https://picasaweb.google.com/103815419673712121955/GardenWeb#

Thanks in advance,
Anita

Here is a link that might be useful: no id geranium

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identify a hardy geranium

I am Pm'ing you a link!

o

Thanks aquawise,

That is some website!

I can't say I found my plant, but I now feel confident that it's got a good amount of traversii in it.

Anita

o

Anita,
Since you're from the Seattle area you might like to know about free plant swaps in Redmond, WA. The next one is the 1st Saturday of November. It's a great way to find a home for those plants that spread more than you have space for & receive some new to you plants.

I've usually seen some type of hardy geraniums at the swaps along with shrubs, trees, edibles, empty pots, & more.

This swap & others are posted on the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange forum. Sometimes, people make prearranged trades. You'll be amazed at the variety and best of all it's totally free, so you have nothing to lose.

Here is a link that might be useful: plant swap

o

I think your "no-ID" geranium could be G. x riversleianum 'Mavis Simpson'.
Both leaves and flowers look identical to mine, anyway!
It loves full sun, doesn't mind dry places, and blooms forever from early June to the first frosts! It's the sister Geranium to G. x riversleianum 'Russel Pritchard', which is similar, but with carmine-red flowers.
And you are right, both are crosses between G. endressi and G. traversii elegans!
Hope it helps!
Zephirine

o

Thanks Zephirine,

I think you are right. I will be moving Mavis to a sunnier spot this fall.
Anita

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here