Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning question

Posted by treelover z8 SoCtrlTX (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 14, 06 at 10:09

I have a couple of scented pelargoniums--a pineapple & a lemon--in pots, that have gotten really leggy. One of them was supposed to be suitable for training as a standard, but I can't remember which, and have decided I don't really want to do that anyhow.

I'd like to cut them back so they'll get a little bushier, but don't know how much to take off...or when to do it. Should I wait till the end of the growing season before I bring them in for the winter? The flowers are insignificant, so I'm not concerned about that.

Tia! -- Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning question

I would think, being pelargoniums, that you could prune away quite a lot , be quite heavy handed. This works with my pels.I prune hard each autumn and reduce watering throughout the winter,but it could be done anytime of the year really. Some plants react badly to pruning but in general if you want something to grow prune it hard!

(This doent work too well with my Pelargonium dichondraefolium, which is a slower growing lavender scented plant, but most scenteds are quite vigorous growers and would take it I'd imagine)

Plus you'll have plenty of cuttings as backups!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here