Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kick5313

Overgrown Geraniums (Pelly's) in mid summer

Kick
18 years ago

Hi. I looked over the geranium posts, but could not find what I was looking for. Hope someone can help me. For the first time in my life, I have the most gorgeous full bloomed geraniums (or probably Pelly's...bought the plants for petal color). I used the new moisture control potting soil by Miracle Gro. My problem is that the stems are starting to get really long and leggy and with the full blooms are starting to fall over and look unattractive. I have never had to prune per se ever before the growing season was over, and I am not sure what, if anything, I can do with these to No. 1: Bring them back to a nice looking size for the pots and No. 2: Ensure that they will keep blooming for the remainder of the season. I do understand about deadheading the wilted flowers, but I didn't want to try to prune anything back until I know for sure I can do this at this particular time of the year. I live in mid Ohio, and most times have blooming plants clear into November if the weather cooperates. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comment (1)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    18 years ago

You can prune geraniums any time. But it will, of course, take a while before the new shoots will make flower buds.

Geraniums should not really get leggy in the full summer sun! I suspect yours are not getting enough sun. Mine only get leggy in winter when I have them indoors. They even bloom sporadically in winter, so lack of sun does not mean they won't still bloom.

How much space is there between leaf nodes? If they are getting enough sun there will only be about 1/2 to 1 inch between nodes, and leaves will be many and lush. Lots of space between leaves on the stem = not enough sun.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional