Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with deadheading geraniums?

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 14:54

I believe I have zonal geraniums. They have a darker red ring around the leaf and the leaf edges are ruffled. Anyway, about the deadheading...

My geranium flower is spent. However, there are nice red buds just below the top spent flower. I was reading that to deadhead you should remove the entire stem. If I do that, I'll be removing the new flowers just below the old ones. Please help me? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with deadheading geraniums?

Zonal geraniums bloom in a cluster of individual flowers held at the top of a bloom stem. Sometimes the flowers in a single open a bit sporadically so it is very possible to have some spent flowers in amongst others that still look good or are even not yet fully open (buds).

It is your choice as to whether you leave that flowerhead in place so that ALL flowers open or deadhead it after some/most of the flowers have gone over but some buds may still remain. Since zonals are so prolific in their flowering in summer, I remove any flowerheads that are even starting to look ratty. And yes, you remove the complete flower stem from where it emerges.

o
RE: Please help with deadheading geraniums?

The flower stem will snap off crisply if you hold it near the base and bend it back. Don't cut it off because that will leave a stub.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here