Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tricia257_gw

Need help from real geranium growers...

tricia257
13 years ago

I am looking for an geranium to use in the front of a border as edging. I need something somewhat drought tolerant, pale pinkish color, tolerates pt shade.

I would like it to be long flowering. I have a lot of things that flower in spring I could use some color later.

I have narrowed it down to

1. Windscombe (love how the flowers fade in color so plant looks multicolored)

2. Claridge Druce

3. Ingwersen's

4. Biokovo

The bloom times and sizes vary SO much depending on what web site I'm looking at I really need help from people who actually grow these things. Any thoughts... Thanks for the help

Comments (7)

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

I'm not sure that I qualify, but... ;)

'Winscombe' and 'Claridge Druce' are both G. Ã oxonianum. which is known to be somewhat long-flowering, relatively speaking for a Geranium (although nowhere near as long-flowering as the famous 'Rozanne'). I would not recommend 'Claridge Druce' however, as it has been mixed up in the trade (hence some of the unreliable info on the various websites you've visited).

'Ingerwersen's Variety' is a G. macrorrhizum which is a great groundcover plant for "dry shade" but flowers for a relatively short time only, in the spring. It also self-seeds.

'Biokovo' is a G. Ã cantabrigiense which comes from crossing G. macrorrhizum and G. dalmaticum. Like the previous variety, it also makes a great groundcover in "dry shade" and flowers for a relatively short time, only in the spring. It does not self-seed.

So, bottom line? 'Winscombe' might be an interesting choice. I wonder also, if some of the better selections of G. sanguineum, the Bloody Cranesbill, might be suitable.

Here's to dirt under your nails.

• ontnative
    13 years ago

I agree with cpg that the cultivars of sanguineum, including a sang. hybrid 'Tiny Monster', are possibly the longest blooming pink-red geraniums in this area. I live in southern Ontario and I see that you are in the midwest. Folks in the Northwestern USA may have different results and probably longer bloom on most of their geraniums than we can enjoy. Some of the cinereums are also long bloomers and have various shades of pale pink to magenta flowers, e.g. 'Lawrence Flatman', cinereum splendens, 'Purple Pillow', etc. If you want pale pink, g. sanguineum striatum is robust and fairly long blooming.

Here is a link that might be useful: geranium sanguineum striatum

• tricia257
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input. G. Sang striatum looks like a good long-blooming choice. I am going to wait until next summer I think before I put them in just in case so I can actually see what they all look like blooming ( we have a great nursery around here with tons of ger). I no longer trust photos of flower color and I am finally becoming a more patient gardener!

• rosecorgis
    13 years ago

I am far from an expert and in a completely different zone from you but I suggest checking out Mavis Simpson. It's the only geranium I have that is similar in habit and bloom length to Rozanne. It's leaves are a little greyish (quite pretty and scalloped) and it has cool pink blooms. It started blooming for me in late May and is still blooming. Last year it went until frost (Dec here).

The main difference between it and Rozanne are:

1. Flower color
    2. Leaves different (prettier actually)
    3. Flowers are smaller
    4. It sprawls

In my garden it's in shade (otherwise would bake here) and it sprawls along the garden between plants. I have two of them. One I'm letting sprawl and weave it's way up a hydrangea (their colors really blend nicely). The other I'm cutting back about once a month to see if it will mound more.

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

'Mavis Simpson' can be a little tender. I can't imagine it being happy in less than a zone 6/7. It might be worth a try however. ;)

• ontnative
    13 years ago

"cpg" is right on the money again. 'Mavis Simpson' is "just" hardy in my zone. It is a very nice plant, but I wouldn't recommend planting more than one as a trial specimen for a couple of years to see how it does in your climate and soil.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I shovel pruned 'Claridge Druce' it was a monster for me. Grew three feet tall and wide. Gave it to a friend and she is unhappy since it seeded all over.

I recently planted 'Biokovo' and must say I'm impressed. Has been blooming non stop and it was a tiny three inch pot in June when I planted it. It has doubled in width but not height which is what I wanted for edging. It is in dry partial shade. I just bought another one because I'm so happy with it.