Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ger. that tolerate part sun and shade Ideas???

Posted by tricia257 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 6, 10 at 17:40

I am looking to put in a row of hardy geraniums in front of some boxwood. One end of this row gets a good bit of sun and the other gets only morning sun. The line is around 9' long. Any suggestion for a hardy geranium that would tolerate the differing light and still look OK. If not, any ideas of how to break up the space and put in 2 or three diferent types that would look good together (not too different in heights for example). I'm leaning towards the light pinks color-wise. Thanks in advance for all help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ger. that tolerate part sun and shade Ideas???

Can you give us a bit more detail about the height you desire, the type of soil you have and what part of the country you live in. Some of the cinereums such as 'Lawrence Flatman' or 'Ballerina' are light pink but they are small plants more suited for a rockery. Several of the oxonianums like 'Claridge Druce' are a brighter, deeper pink, but they are taller, with a more open structure, and need a moderately moist soil. The boxwood hedge will suck a lot of moisture out of the soil so anything you plant next to it will have to be extra drought tolerant and tough. I have perennial candytuft (Iberis sempervirens) next to mine and it does quite well, The iberis can be pruned back after flowering in the spring to make it more tidy and dense. It is white of course and not pink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iberis 'Snowflake'

o
RE: ger. that tolerate part sun and shade Ideas???

I need something around 12" high as right now I grow impatiens there and they are really too short to show. At one end of this spot I have purple huchera and the other end I have fire and ice hosta. One of the problems with the spot is that one end gets more sunlight than the other. Because this is a long spot I was interest in the Windscombe because it has both light and darker pink at the same time (color changes as flowers fade)or jolly bee. I don't want anything too dark as it might not show up. I don't mind sprawly geraniums. I grow rozanne and find it easy to keep in check with a few snips. Any thoughts? Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here