Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamm321

What are some long blooming, non flopping geraniums?

AdamM321
18 years ago

I was looking to add some new geraniums to the yard. I would like something that is neat looking and doesn't flop, and has a long period of bloom. If I could also get different colors that would be great too. Right now, I have the Samobor? with the dark markings and maroon flowers, and a karmina which is short with pale violet flowers, and a variety that I don't know the name of that is blue almost irredescent flowers but it is floppy.

What I have blooms early and has been done for at least a month already. So late bloomers would fit well too.

Thanks very much,

Adam

Comments (9)

• merrilee
    18 years ago

Geranium Sanguineum has a nice mounding form and lots of magenta flowers. Mine have been blooming for two months now and are still going strong.

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

Sanguineum is the only one I have that blooms long too. The others have a short bloom time, but at least Samobor has interesting foliage. I do have a very low growing light pink one that puts out loads of blooms in mid June, and has great fall color in the leaves.

Oops- just went to look up the variety of the pink one, and I see that the one I thought was sanguineum was dalmaticum. And drat!! all I have in my notes about the low pink one is geranium. That doesn't help much!! I'll have to dig through my envelope of plant tags, to see what all geraniums I have. I'll post if I find anything. (Record keeping gets away from me sometimes. I couldn't be a serious collector. )

Jean

• Erikka
    18 years ago

Geranium cinereum 'Lawrence Flatman' is my favourite.
    One of the longest bloomers in my rock garden.
    It started blooming End of May and hasn't stopped.
    Only 4-6 inches tall and the flowers
    are deep pink with purple veins.

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi,

I was just at Mahoney's today and they had a 75% clearance table of a lot of things that looked pretty terrible. Among all the terrible looking plants was this lone geranium sanguineum with a pink bloom on it. It only had a few weeds in the pot with it, but the foliage looked great and it was still blooming. So I snatched it up for $2.

I love those clearance tables because I always feel that if you can find something that is actually still growing well and looking good than it is pretty much a survivor and I have a better chance with it.

Thanks Erikka for the info about 'Lawrence Flatman'. I looked it up and provide a link to it below. Interesting looking.

Adam

Here is a link that might be useful: Geranium 'Lawrence Flatman'

• articfire
    18 years ago

Geranium "Ballerina" is also a fantastic low growing geranium. I have it and Lawrence Flatman and both have been blooming since mid May.

Michelle

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Michelle..

Thanks I am wanting to get a collection so the more names I have the better. If here it is August 8th and they are still blooming I would say that is pretty good. Are you deadheading?

Adam

• kms4me
    18 years ago

Adam,

"Tanya Rendall" and "Bertie Crugg" both have bronze foliage and are long blooming with tiny but very pretty flowers. "Bertie" is a groundcover type, but not aggressively so, and "Tanya" has low, trailing stems. Neither exceed 3 inches in flower for me.

I just added "Purple Pillow" this season and so far the growth is neat and compact. The flowers are deep purple with lighter veins and they really stand out against the silvery, gray green foliage. It has bloomed in flushes, rather than continuously, but may bloom more heavily once it settles in.

Kate

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Kate,

Thanks for that info. Sounds like you have a few geraniums. Where did you get your Purple Pillow? I have it on my list to get and wondered, I attached a link to a Jackson and Perkins photo of it, does it actually look like that?

Thanks,
    Adam

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Pillow Geranium

• kms4me
    18 years ago

Adam,

I have approximately 25 hybrids/species/cultivars of hardy geraniums, and I really love them for their toughness and ease of care.

Although Jackson & Perkins enhances their pictures, my "Purple Pillow" actually looks like their image, though the first year flowers have been a bit smaller than described. I was very happy to find my plant at a small nursery locally for a very reasonable price.

Kate

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs