Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Here is my geranium... no. of cuttings?

Posted by frank325 Z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 08 at 19:37

Here are two geraniums I bought at Walmart early this summer and potted together. Not really my main question, but in a pot this size, should I NOT have potted them together to fill it up? Would each of them gotten much larger if potted in their own pots this same size? Or is filling up the pot ok?

My main question is, how many cuttings late in the summer do you think I would get from something this size? I'm completely new to this, and at first I thought maybe you could root the leaves. But from what I've read, you have to take a stem cutting. Is that the only way? The stems seems pretty big, and if you can only take one cutting per stem, they aren't as plentiful as I originally thought.

Note, I did just finish deadheading spent blooms, so the blooms are a little uneven this close up.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Here is my geranium... no. of cuttings?

I assume they were bought in 4.5" pots and are zonal type not seed geraniums. First plant each individually in a 10" pot. remove all flowers and buds never let the plants bloom and pinch out the centers of each stem. Barring extreme heat you will be able to take 3-6 cuttings form each plant by mid August. Keep dis budding and pinching until late fall and you will be able to remove 20 or more cutting from each plant... Goodluck ... Bob.

o

Well, the purpose of buying them was so I could see them bloom :-P So I'll take fewer cuttings in the end if that's what the cost of letting them bloom is. Even if I only got 2 or 3 from each plant, that's fine with me. Just was curious how many one could get from this.

o

From the healty appearance of that plant you probably have 3 of 4 cutting right now. You only need a shoot tip with two leaves. I take cutting with shoot stems as short as one inch... Bob.

o

I decided to put them in their own pots, the same size as picture. One is much more fuller, the other is kind of flattened, so it's full one way but not the other... looks like a mohawk in the pot! Will it grow out on its own alright? Or is there a way to encourage it to fill up more on two sides.

o

when you take cuttings do you use rooting hormone on cuttings?

o

You don't need to use rooting hormone but can use a weak fungicide solution to prevent stem rot. Cuttings should begin to root in 7 days...Bob.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here