Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1822betty

Rozanne Geranium

Betty Levar
18 years ago

Last year I bought a Rozanne Geranium for $12.99. I really liked the way it grew and spread out as it was almost ground hugging and flowered for a long time. I thought maybe I would get more this year but I have changed my mind. This year is it tall and floppy and I have had to tied it up. Won't be buying any more.

Comments (15)

• Erikka
    18 years ago

I bought 2 last year because I was so pleased with its growing habits. Now I'm trying to give it away. Mine is also very floppy and leggy. Doesn't look nice at all. My favourite geranium to date is 'Lawrence Flatman'. It started blooming in early spring and it hasn't stopped.

• tess_5b
    18 years ago

My Rozanne is pretty well behaved. I have it kinda squished in a spot with catmint on one side, an achillea on another and a coneflower on the third, fourth side is open. Right now it's maybe 8" tall and climbing through the plants bordering it but not really spreading to the open spot on the one end. I planted it July '04. Now I'm wondering what it'll get up to next year! You can see it in the pic linked, it's on the bottom right against the low wall. The giant mass above the catmint is a Johnson's Blue that got out of control.

tess

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:825976}}

• freebird
    18 years ago

I have several Rozannes planted over the past three years. It is by far my favorite perennial. There is a difference in their growth habit in each location. The ones in a more shady location are perhaps a bit more leggy. Her growth does kind of flop into a mound rather than growing into a mound, but it is still a mound of bright blue flowers all summer long. She's a keeper in my garden.

• pellie_grower
    18 years ago

all my plants - 4 - are well behaved. They do spread side ways but I wouldnt call them leggy. It must be a light problem.

• geneslady
    16 years ago

I rec'd a rozanne geranium 3 weeks ago and already it is abt. 6-7" high. I plan to plant it in a very large container......anyone have success growing a rozanne like that?

Thanks,
    Barbara
    in Wilmington, NC

• mehearty
    16 years ago

I was expecting larger plants, so I planted them in the center of a rose bed to accent the pinks & reds. The colors look great together, and they are always in bloom however, they're more of a ground cover for me. They accent the roses close up, but they're too short to show up when you're standing back. I'll see what they do this year, and eventually they'll get moved.

{{gwi:234575}}\\{{gwi:234577}}

• kcbarbara
    16 years ago

Reading these posts has been so helpful -- thanks to all who wrote. I'm planning on buying four rozannes and if they sprawl a bit, that will be fine. Like mehearty, the plants will be companions to some roses but my set up is different. I have four yellow shrub roses in a circle, ringing a statue that the homes association plunked down in a corner of my yard. Previous owners put some kind of low evergreens around it and those things served only as an ugly leaf catcher. A couple years ago I yanked them out along with tons of rock that covered the landscaping fabric around the evergreens. Ack. Anyway, in went the roses and they look spectacular. They don't bloom as heavily as do the red and pink knockouts and I've been searching for something to compliment them and bloom the rest of the season. I have some catmint in there now but I'm thinking of replacing it with the rozannes - longer bloom, I hope and less upkeep. Any thoughts?

Barbara

• DYH
    16 years ago

I'm usually on the Cottage Garden Forum, but was searching for Rozanne Geranium, so I hope you don't mind if I insert a question into this thread?

I keep seeing Rozanne (and other Geraniums) listed as deer resistant. Does anyone have it in a garden where deer frequent?

Thanks so very much,
    Cameron

• gree_knees
    16 years ago

The deer leave my Rozannes alone, but that might be because they are among the roses and daylilies that they prefer more. Anita

• DYH
    15 years ago

I'll go ahead and put a few in my outer garden as an experiment. If the deer just nibble the blooms, then the plants will survive enough to be transplanted. The deer have enough to eat this year so far, so they've not even munched the roses that are blooming through my fence.

Thanks,
    Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: my gardening blog

• thegreenfrog
    15 years ago

hiya! my neighbor gave me some of her mrs. kendall clarke's, a truly lovely geranium, but she just grabbed her spade, hacked away and handed them to me, dirt, woody roots and all! i RAN them to garden, put them in, watered them and crossed my fingers. i had just read the night before that geraniums DON'T DIVIDE well, as they are one central rhizome plant. that was a few nights ago and today, the LARGEST clump is doing very well. i even see some buds opening, so the flower growth wasn't bothered and not a single sign of wilting or shock. but the smaller clump that had far less of the root attached, ack...the poor thing. so, i cut it back, to just the stems. i hope it will perk up. but maybe that means if you get enough of the roots, a big chunk of that central woody part, mrs. clarke's and maybe rozanne CAN be divided? would love to hear if anyone else has tried it? thanks! :)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Most hardy, perennial geraniums can be divided, although some lend themselves to this practice better than others. And some, like selections of G.phaeum, benefit greatly from periodic division as the center portion can become quite woody over time and stop producing. Those that have a very sprawling habit, like 'Rozanne' or 'Ann Folkard' are generally best propagated from cuttings as they tend to emerge from a single woody stem and take a long time to bulk up their root crown to a size suitable for division. btw, 'Rozanne' is a patented plant and it is illegal to propagate from cuttings or by division (or any other asexual method) without permission or license from the patentholder.

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

Just to clarify gardengal's statement, patents only apply to plants that are being resold, not shared with friends or neighbors. You probably knew this gg, but it sounded a little bit misleading. :0)

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

I should have said "patents are only enforceable to plants that are being resold", not that they didn't apply.

Sponsored