Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best potting medium

Posted by beigestonehill z 6 /7VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 07 at 21:40

What do all you Geranium (Pelargonium) experts use for potting medium for your geraniums? I think mine is too water retentive because I keep getting some rot in my large plants and my cuttings. I welcome all advice; thanks Lynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best potting medium

Hello Lynn,
After growing Pelargoniums for several years I do not regard myself as an expert.
This problem has become worse in UK because of the reluctance of many growers to use peat.
The peat substitutes most commonly used, in UK, are coir and bark both of which are very moisture retentive. If you do not wish to use peat based potting compost then I suggest that you use sterilised loam-based composts and horticultural grit to improve drainage. Do not allow your plants to become waterlogged. Regarding cuttings; I have used several different media to root pellie cuttings without problems including peat discs (Jiffy 7s)or sterilised loam/perlite mixtures. Two important points:
1) Do not tent or close-up the cuttings
2) Do not use rooting powder or gel, this can cause pellie cuttings to rot.
Hope this helps
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here