Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with an ID on this geranium

Posted by northerner_on Z5A ONCanada (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 11 at 2:26

Hello everyone: This is my first visit to this site, and it is because of this mystery plant. I have been collecting hardy geraniums for a few years, and this one I grew from seed. The seeds were labelled 'Geranium mauve' and it gew very well, sprawled a bit like a ground cover in a shady area, and produced loads of little flowers (which look like geraniums) in late fall, and it also set seed. The fact is that several of these seeds have produced volunteers nearby which I have collected in pots (they looked like columbines when small), and now I realize these are the offspring of the unknown plant. This plant is growing so vigourously in shade, I wonder if it is a weed, but maybe someone on this site can help. Here are two pics. The first one is a close-up of the flower, the second shows the foliage in a 3-inch pot sitting on an old lawn chair, which will give you an idea of the dimensions of the plant. Thank you in advance.
Geranium 'mauve'
Gernium foliage

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with an ID on this geranium

I have a similar geranium seedling that I got through a seed exchange labelled G. palustre (which it is NOT). I think it might be G. thunbergii, generally considered a weedy type. The flowers are very small and similar colour to yours. I kept it this year and let it flower, which it is doing now, to try to identify it with some degree of certainty.

o
RE: Need help with an ID on this geranium

Hi Ontnative, this message was not delivered to my e-mail as I requested, so I am lucky I just decided to try the forum. These plants are all in flower now and are setting seed. As you said, they are a bit weedy and tend to sprawl like a ground cover. BTW, I had great success with many of your seeds. You should see Helianthus Lemon Queen - it's over ten feet tall and is taking my garden over. I am expecting a full show in the coming weeks. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here