Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
layneev

What's eating my geraniums??

layneev
16 years ago

In May I planted a number of hardy geraniums in a big new bed under a large sugar maple, along with epimediums, alchemilla, tiarella, a few others. Everything seemed to be going fine, lots of blooms, etc. Over a couple of weeks I began to notice that there weren't as many blossoms, or leaves, and now I see that SOMETHING has eaten just about every leaf of three Johnson's Blue, one Nimbus, one Rozanne, two or three macrorrhizums. Several more macrorrizums (Spessart and Album) seem okay, not blooming so much any more but not totally without leaves! The three Biokovos look nibbled on but not totally eaten. But the Johnson's Blues, Nimbus and Rozanne look like spider plants! It does look as if a few new leaves are coming in. None of the other plants seem affected. I've been watering regularly when we don't get rain, to try to get everything established. I don't see any slugs or sign of slugs. We do have deer, but not this close to the house (usually....), and I've sprayed the new plants a couple of times this year with Deer Solution so nothing (so far...) has been eaten, and I think if it was a deer the whole plant would be eaten, not just the leaves delicately nibbled off. Anyway, any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you all!

Comments (4)

Sponsored