Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geranium Sandrine

Posted by karen02481 6 Mass (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 07 at 14:42

Hi All--

I'm new to Garden Web. I have a cottage type garden in front of my house and I have several Geranium Rozanne. I love the way they meander among my other plants and they have a nice long bloom season. I've been looking for something similar with a pink flower and haven't found any candidates yet. Today I was looking through one of my fall garden planting catelogues and found a new geranium called Geranium Sandrine. From googling it, I think its only been around for purchase for about a year. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks in advance!

--Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geranium Sandrine

Yes, karen, I have a short experience with this geranium this year.
It is of French origin, by the way, and was named after the wife of the breeder, Sandrine Delabroye (see link below, bottom of the main page). Thierry Delabroye is a terrible perennial-holic, and their nursery is definitely one of my favs in France!
Geranium 'Sandrine' is very close to the better known 'Dragon Heart'. It has superb lime-green young foliage when it emerges, and again if you cut it back as I had to do it a month ago (after a cat's unexpected digging work...).
A nice contrast with the very large magenta flowers (especially the earliest ones, over one inch wide!).
It does ramble a lot through the neighbouring plants : mine was about 4 feet large (its first year !!!) after 3 months only!
But I have so far no experience about its behaviour in winter...(I'm zone 7b USDA)
Mine is in half shade in a fairly clayish soil, a never-dry location..which might be a problem next winter if the soil doesn't drain enough...Time will tell!
Hope this helps
Mezimages Hébergement gratuit d'image.Mezimages Hébergement gratuit d'image
Zephirine

Here is a link that might be useful: pepinieres delabroye

o
RE: Geranium Sandrine

Thanks Zephirine!! This one is definitely on my list!!

--Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here