Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Love-Hate Relationship with Geraniums

Posted by letsharmonize 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 10, 09 at 14:46

Geraniums just don't seem to like me. For years I've bought them ... various types ... ivy and 'regular' kinds. They just don't flourish for me. It's hot here in south/central Louisiana. I have one ivy in a hanging basket, and two others in pots. They seem to just barely bloom and don't grow much. Both get several hours of sun a day, and I use Osmocote to fertilize.

The one my neighbor has in her flowerbed (she ignores it, doesn't pick off old blooms/dead leaves), just blooms and blooms. What am I doing wrong? I was told years ago that they like a lot of soil. What else can I do?
thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Love-Hate Relationship with Geraniums

Have you checked for pests and diseases?

Maybe the soil is too moist? let it dry out in between waterings.

Don't over fertilize, as it could burn the roots.

o

Perhaps they are not getting enough sun. You mentioned that they get "several hours" of sun a day. Where I am (farther north than you), geraniums need almost full sun to reach peak bloom. They will bloom with less, but never reach their full potential.

o

Perhaps you water too much. I can't see anything else that you do that would cause your problem. Geraniums don't like to be kept too wet. Mine have gone bone dry for a couple of days on occasions and still they bloom well.

You say your neighbor ignores hers and it blooms well. If yours have got the same sunlight then the problem has to be over watering. Let them go dry and then soak them completely and then don't water until they are dry again

o

Thanks for these advices and discussion.I also want to know about Geraniums and gather a good knowledge about it by review this post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dating Sites

o

You can also Google Geranium care and growing. There may be several issues with your plants, lack of enough sun seems to be one of them.

o

Honestly with mine even in the hot dry parts of summer I would go two or three days without water on mine. I overwintered a couple baskets this winter and I watered them once every week or two and they bloomed and bloomed all winter. Geraniums don't like a lot of water!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here