Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Identification please?

northerner_on
13 years ago

I was sent seeds for this plant about 3 years ago and they were labeled Geranium Orion. Now that the plant is blooming beautifully I decided to Google Orion, only to find that it is bright blue. I have no reason to believe the sender of the seeds was trying to mislead me, we still trade so I think it is a genuine error but an ID would be nice. The blooms are pale pink, about 1.5 inches in diameter with standard deep green geranium leaves. It is branching (maybe because it is not in optimum conditions, about 2 feet high and a very prolific bloomer. I rather love this plant. I have attached pics. of the flower and foliage for the detectives out there. Thank you.

Northerner.

Here's the bloom:

Here's the foliage:

Comments (7)

• maggiepie_gw
    13 years ago

It looks like a G. pratense seedling.
    I'd guess that whoever sent you the seed had her G.Orion near a pratense and the bees did some pollen transferring.
    Prolific flowering geraniums are always a bonus.

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Maggiepie...it is indeed a G.pratense. I found a site which identifies seedlings by leaf, rather than by flower and that's how I nailed it down. However, as you said, the bees must have been doing their work because I cannot find any pic. of a pratense with this flower colour. The first flower was almost transparent white, but in it's third year, it is definitely pale pink, and very appealing. Thank you again.
    Northerner.

• ontnative
    13 years ago

'Orion' is a progeny of 'Brookside'. which itself is a hybrid between pratense and clarkei 'Kashmir Purple'. The seed you received was from 'Orion' (one parent) but the other parent could have been Orion or another geranium growing nearby. That is why your flower is not blue like 'Orion'. 'Orion' leaves look like pratense ones, because it is a pratense descendant.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Orion' pic and leaves

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the clarification, Ontnative. I started growng these beautiful plants about 3 years ago in memory of Mother, who was quite a gardener herself. I now have about 5 different varieties and am trying to identify them so it's best to have all the knowledge I can. Now I know this plant can produce many surprises depending on how Mother Nature decides to do her work. Always something to look forward to.

• ontnative
    13 years ago

Happy to be able to help with this background info., northener. I collect (and grow) lots of hardy geraniums. I find them very addictive, and as a group are very tolerant of less than perfect growing conditions, i.e. part shade and somewhat dry clay. They are also great "blenders" and fit in with so many other flashier perennials.

• leo_prairie_view
    13 years ago

I have a very similar geranium that appeared in my amongst the 'Brooksides" in my garden a couple of summers ago and this year has spread around. I am assuming a cross between Brookside and G.pratense however it is much tidier and less floppy than the other G.pratenses that I try to pull out before they reseed too prolifically.
    Leo

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Leo: I am happy to know that these plants reseed. I have been trying to save seeds, but have only managed to save a very few - you know how good they are at propelling their seeds before you can get them. I would not mind having a patch of them since this plant is doing quite well in a part shade location. Thanks for the 'heads-up'.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?