Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a geranium border

Posted by idabean (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 04 at 20:28

Can you folks help me think more creatively and confidently about planting this double sided border which edges a path 30 feet long, 4 feet wide, gravel edged with cobbles.

Partial shade, zone 5 usuaally except for last winter

After endless experiementation I've concludes that at this time the only bright spots are two large groupings of geraniums, one geranium mac. "spessart" and a common magenta. (I am not complaining at all)Both flow beautifully over the cobbles and keep great looking foliage.

What geraniums either creep or billow,
what might be different periods of bloom,

which ones are complimentary if they are adjacent?

I'm trying to imagine the "mirror image" of both sides of the path. I think the same variety across from each other would be boring, but I don't want "spotty" either,

What about quantity to get a good massed effect.

I have spessart, Rozanne, Bivoko, mourning widow whose proper name slips my mind) a magenta, Johnson's Blue, and and unplanted Patricia.
Thanks so much!
.'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a geranium border

What about a G. sylvaticum variety? There are several cultivars, like 'Meran', 'Baker's Pink', 'Amy Doncaster'.

o

I forgot to say I am in zone 5

o

Geranium incanum Frances Grate, Silver Sugar Plum, has pale magenta flowers that bloom in spring and off and on since. It has the most beautiful foliage, finely divided lacey silvery leaves and it makes an elegant billow with the occasional flower. I also just got one that is variegated and has little magenta flowers, blooming now also- G. yoshinol Confetti. It seems like many geraniums I've tried tend to overgrow the area I have for them. G. sanguineum Striatum has lovely pink blooms and looks like a big bouquet in spring, making a nice mound totally covered with flowers. It doesn't keep blooming, though. G x Ann Folkard and Ann Thompson have bright deep magenta flowers and tend to flow off in long trailing stems that wind through other plants.

o

I suggest you buy the book 'Hardy Geraniums' by Bath & Jones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here