Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with these geraniums?

Posted by westmanor usda9 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 04 at 21:15

Last year I planted a few different kinds of geraniums. Some in the ground , some in pots. They all did great until a couple of weeks ago. regardless of the location and the soil condition their leaves started to curl upwards almost like shrinking.With or without watering didn't make a difference. They eventually stopped flowering. I pulled out the curled leaves but even the new ones came out curled and stayed very small.I can't see any insects or mites on them.
I used to think geraniums were easy to grow but now I'm puzzled. Does anyone have any ideas?

image in gallery forum

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/geranium/hpgal0821094632710.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with these geraniums?

corrected link

Here is a link that might be useful: picture

o

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 19, 04 at 2:26

Leaves curling as yours could possibly be a virus - "Symptoms of these types of diseases are nonspecific and can look like symptoms caused by many other disease agents. General symptoms include stunting, yellowing, curling or twisting of leaves and stems, distorted leaves and fruit, mosaics, mottles, and ring spots."

But I would suspect nutritional deficiency caused by too high a ph. Since both containerized and bedded plants are affected, do you by any chance know the PH of your water? I don't have to worry about acidity here...we're acid - soil, water, plenty of natural irrigation in mildly acidic rain. But I believe the highest PH for optimum geranium growth is 6 - 6.3.

o

The plant on the right might benefit from being cut back. New shoots should grow out from the base if you cut it back to three or four inches.

o

hi, to me it looks like heat stress and some of the leaves also looked scorched? if it is heat stress they will recover once the weather cools down and the leaves will plump up again, but if your summers are quite hot they will do better in a spot where they will get some shade during the day, especially by late afternoon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here