Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
geranium topiary

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 05 at 23:05

I'd like to make a tree-type topiary w/a geranium..Can I use a regular geranium to do this, or are they special types? Thanks, Toni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: geranium topiary

When deciding on a variety to use for topiary you have to remember that the height that the plant will grow naturally will determine how tall your topiary will be. Sometimes people want a tall topiary and the variety isn't ever going to grow taller than 12" and they are disappointed.
I like to use scenteds for topiary. You can choose from various leaf sizes and textures that really make for a nicely proportioned plant.
Any pelargonium that doesn't grow as a rosette can be used. It's a matter of personal preference.
Debbie

o
RE: geranium topiary

May, I remember my MIL had a common geranium..this was back in the 80's and I don't know where she got it or what yr..Anyway, it looked like the common geranium, sitting in an unheated hallway, w/only a small east window.
Anyway, this geranium, grew long..It wasn't the scnted..It grew over 25' long, only one stem mind u, while the other leaves grew upward..The trunk was thicker than my wrist..She has this beauty for yrs, and then came up w/the idea to move to her hot, stuffy, dry LR..it then got mealy, and died that winter..
So, do you think I should order a scented? Is there any particular type? Thanks, Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here