Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
multiple cuttings from one stem?

Posted by angelao z3 Canada (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 3, 06 at 9:15

Is it possible to take multiple cuttings from one annual geranium stem?
Also, I've read that some people let the cutting rest before putting in the potting soil? How long should I wait before placing in potting soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: multiple cuttings from one stem?

I suppose you are asking about pelargoniums?

Yes, you can make more than one cutting from one stem, but my experience is that the more the stem is "wooded" the harder it find it to make roots. And is might be wooded from just one season.
Try!

I don't think it is science when people wait with planting the stem so there is no right or wrong. If you wait one hour
and it makes new roots, well, then one hour was the right answer ;-)

But some free advices. Put the stems along the rim of the pot, and yes, you might put more then one in each pot to save space. Water the dish under insted of the earth within, and if possible, mix in some vermiculit or other such component in the earth. Keep it light while rooting, preferable from under the pot.

Good luck :-)

o
Hmmm

To keep the pot with cuttings with light from under is very difficult ... try heating instead :8)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here