Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Martha Geranium

Posted by rose_is_a_rose z4 SW Ont (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 07 at 11:33

Hi everyone,
I hope someone can help... I bought a beautiful Martha Geranium last summer and I over wintered it.. it came back to bloom again this year but it is looking very leggy... can I cut it back and bring it into the house for another overwinter??? I hate to lose this plant it is so pretty.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Martha Geranium

Sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Gate

o

Martha Washington (otherwise called "Regal Geranium)...pelargonium domesticum, will set buds when the cool of the evening is given them.
They may not do well in flower production when given hot summer conditions.
But by all means, do cut them back to relieve their legginess and give them good sunlight.

Legginess is usually caused by not giving the plant sufficient sun. But inside, use caution about putting the plant so close to the window at this time. The sun is still very high yet and through the glass can increase the temperature of the soil dramatically.
Why not put the pot outside and let the plant enjoy what sunlight is still with us. The cool of the evening will help set buds. There is lots of time left before worrying about frost and having to take the plants indoors.

o

This is late but I have to drop this in here. There is only one reference I have ever seen that gives solid advice about these types of Pelargoniums. Thalassa Crusoe's "Making Things Grow Indoors". She has quite detailed and easy to follow instructions in her book...and was a great, not mention amusing, writer. Pick it up sometime at a used bookstore...you won't be sorry.

Dave
Milwaukee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here