Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Best way to divide a woodland geranium to get the most plantlets?

I have a woodland geranium (not a pelargonium) that has spread to about a 4 foot diameter. I donâÂÂt know itâÂÂs name, but it is very full, making almost a low canopy, which is why I think it would make a great groundcover . Not a sprawler like G. sanguinea. Flowers are a bight rich pink.

It is overgrowing the hosta bed where I have it, and I would like to take offsets and place them in a problem shady area under some tall spruces where I can't get grass to grow. Light conditions are about the same where it is now, and the new location. I would be using it as a groundcover.

I have never divided anything like this. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that I can more or less pull off branches from the outside, moving in, till the plant is back at the size where I want it to be in its original location, then plant the plantlets I have pulled off, spacing them out in the large new area? I am not good at digging up to divide, I have foot problems that make cutting a plant with a shovel painful. Thanks for your help.

Comment (1)