Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting for indoor geraniums

Posted by BeR856 z5NY (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 26, 04 at 17:14

I sure hope somebody can help me out here. I want to keep my geraniums (actually pelargoniums) as houseplants for the winter. I do not get very much light at all and want to buy a plant light to help them. I have been researching and can't figure out what type of light might be best. I'm currently using some plant spot lights which have helped, but my plants need more. I would also love any knowledge on what type of light is needed to get sturdier, earlier blooming seedlings. I started seeds last year and had healthy little plants, but they did not get strong enough or start to bud until July when they had been outside for quite awhile. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting for indoor geraniums

For most geraniums I find that two or better yet four 48" flouresent grow tubes placed 2-6 inches above the tops of your plants and left on for about 16 hours each day should do a good job. Two shop lite type fixtures hung side by side are what I used. They worked fairly well. I didn't get many flowers in the fallor early winter, but once Jan/Feb came they would take right off.
John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here