Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Rozanne ... put on the red light!

FrozeBudd_z3/4
19 years ago

With this years cool moist conditions Rozanne has really gone to town! She now measures 7 1/2 ft across and is loaded with HUNDREDS of awesome BEAUTIFUL blue blooms !!! This plant is one real winner! With my cold winters Rozanne gets dug and stored in the coldroom ... well, worth the effort for this lovely lady!

Terry

Comments (4)

• dighappy
    19 years ago

A 7 1/2 ft. wide geranium.....where are the pictures, this is a must see!

• leo_prairie_view
    19 years ago

Could you give us a detailed description of just how you do the winter storage. I have some Geranium Wallichianum 'Buxtons Variety' that I started from seeds this year that I would like to try it with. If I can make it work I will certainly get G. Rozzane next year. I saw it in a local garden centre this summer and asked if it was hardy and was told to grow it as an annual. At $16.00 a plant I didnÂt take to the idea. I actually wouldn't have room for that size plant but I assume it would weave through its neighbours like other geraniums.
    Leo

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Leo, in late fall when digging up my tender perennials I leave as much soil on the rootball as possible. I then proceed to cut the tops back and place the roots in plastic lined boxes or large pots ... and then fill in around the roots with soil. These plants are stored at temperatures of 35 to 40F and watered as the top of the soil begins to become dry. Do NOT cover plants with plastic or such as this may induce rotting of the tops and crowns. Come spring plants are then set out as the weather has come to be settled. If they had begun to sprout while in storage I simply hill them up a bit when planting out.

I find this proceedure is more reliable than applying heavy mulch and hoping for tender perennials to make it through the long cold winters.

Dighappy, I'm kinda a dits when it comes to attaching photos here! ... but, indeed Rozanne has come to grow to an enormouse spread! Last year was a bit on the dry side and she responded by growing about 2 1/2 ft across. This spring I moved her into a bed consisting of deep peat moss ... then it rained and rained and WOW the gal took off BIG time!

Terry

• jenn
    19 years ago

Uh oh... 7-1/2 feet in zone 3??? What will it do in zone 9???????!!!!!.... eat the house??

I guess I'll find out next year. I planted two early this year and they haven't gotten much bigger... probably just settling in with the warm weather.

Jen

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths