Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Rozanne / Jolly Bee geranium in Full Sun?

whaas_5a
14 years ago

Anyone growing Rozanne / Jolly Bee geranium in Full Sun?

Most of the nurseries tell me they grow best with lots of morning sun and limited late afternoon sun.

Will they do ok with 10 maybe even 12 hours of sun?

Comments (15)

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

My 'Rozanne' is in a south-eastern facing direction, so it gets full sun from morning until late afternoon. It does well, and I don't irrigate (at least not this year!). In fact, I believe these plants (due to their G. wallichianum genes), actually prefer full sun.

In 10-12 hours of sun, I would think they should do well, however they may need supplemental irrigation.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    14 years ago

I have what I believe is Rozanne in a bed that gets probably 8-10 hrs of sun daily which includes the hottest time of the day and it performed GREAT this summer. Still blooming now but starting to get a little ragged over the last couple of weeks. It has been blooming since April. I ordered me a couple from Paradise Gardens to compare theirs to mine and luckily it had a bloom pop open and they look identicle so i'm pretty sure what I have is Rozanne. I do water off and on but not regular but we did get a fair amount of rain this year.

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

I'm almost convinced that the flowers are larger and bluer/brighter this time of year, than for example, during the heat of mid-summer!

• bhnash
    14 years ago

My Rozeanni is in full sun, but I am on the coast and have many foggy days in summer. She does fine on hot days too, no wilting unless water is needed.

• schifferle
    14 years ago

I've given up on Rozanne (z5) and I'm going to try Jolly Bee (z4). Rozanne has done beautifully for me when I plant it in the spring, but it always dies on me over the winter except for one that always seems to come back when the others don't. I'm tired of replacing it.

• ontnative
    14 years ago

I thought that 'Rozanne' and 'Jolly Bee' were genetically the same plant cross, just hybridized by different breeders, in different countries. Wouldn't their winter hardiness be likely the same?

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

Their parentage is slightly different:

'Rozanne' = G. wallichianum 'Buxton's Variety' Ã G. himalayense

'Jolly Bee' = G. wallichianum 'Buxton's Variety' Ã G. shikokianum var. yoshiianum

They are otherwise very similar, although some purport that 'Jolly Bee' is slightly more upright in habit.

As for any difference in hardiness between the two, I'm not familiar enough with the second parent of 'Jolly Bee' to comment.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There is definitely a difference in habit. The Jolly Bee is more mounded/upright. Rozanne is more sprawling.

With that said I planted a grouping of each this past early fall. Dang rabbits ate em' up! I wonder if they will come back this spring?

At least the nursery has a 1 yr warranty on them.

• grinder12000
    14 years ago

A court said they have the exact DNA and so as of July 1 2010 there will be no more Jolly Bee's only Rozanne

• ditas
    13 years ago

So what happens to JB now .. will she be called R .. how can we tell by tags? From *whaas* observations & a few others I have read, I'd like to track down JB ... just need to know how.

I've enlarged my sunny-long island bed last Fall (now meas. 25.5'x9.5') to allow & bent on adding upright/mounding/JB around (already have sprawling - Biokovo & Sanguin. Striat. in this bed) & Carpathian Harebell & Gentian Blue(Crater-Lake) Speedwell have shorter bloom-time.

Help! & TIA

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

'Jolly Bee' should still be available until July 1st. My guess is that several sources will have it available until then, and it should be appropriately labelled as such.

After July 1st, my guess is that most stock of JB will be labelled as 'Rozanne'.

• ditas
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info ... no one in town has it but lots of Rs.

By Jul will they label *Roxanne1* & *Roxanne2*, do you think?

Would Johnson's Blue fill as a good subs. for my search of, longer-blooming/more vertical-habit/blue Cranesbill?

TIA

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

'Johnson's Blue' is not a re-blooming type -- expect four to six weeks of colour.

• ditas
    13 years ago

Thanks again cpg! I'll just settle for *Roxanne* then or order on line w/c I've never attempted!

I've visited your very helpful & informative site ... learned about the Patent-feud between these 2. I couldn't understand how the DNAs were identical when half the parents were different ... now we are the loser! Sigh! Â:(

Still hoping some enlightenment! TIA! Â;)

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is funny because I can even, as of now, tell the difference between the plants.

I have another set of Jolly Bees coming next week.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County